Going to the gym is awesome! Chances are if weight loss or fitness is your New Years Resolution then you likely haven’t worked out in a long time. It can also be really overwhelming if you have been out of the gym for a significant amount of time.
Check out these 3 tips that will make the transition a lot easier:
1. Start Stretching, NOW!
Mobility plays a key role in keeping your body healthy and ready for exercise. Not only will you feel better but it also helps to prevent injury. Starting to stretch before you start working out can help your body start remembering what those muscles feel like to be used! I would try to stretch for at least 10 minutes a day, and switch up body groups daily.
2. Start Eating Better
If you try to do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) after eating cheeseburgers, you’re gonna have a bad time. For 3 days before you go to the gym for the first time, start eating healthier more nutrient rich food. Your body will use the nutrients you gave it and make sure your workout is awesome! I’ve worked out eating unhealthy food and worked out eating healthy food, the healthy food actually makes working out FEEL easier. I promise.
3. Drink Water! If you haven’t been paying very close attention to your health, chances are you are under hydrated (most people are, don’t feel too bad about it). Start drinking water throughout the day. You’ll be a little bloated at first but trust me you’ll sweat it all out anyway during your workout!
Going to the gym for the first time in a long time can be pretty intimidating. Now you have 3 things you can do before that time comes to make the transition go smoother.
The world we are currently living in does not like healthy people. As a society we find healthy people to be annoying, different and weird. Why would they choose a salad over french fries? French fries are delicious. Fricken’ weirdos. They are constantly not drinking soda or juice and then offering you alternatives for your drinks… HOW ANNOYING. When we go out to dinner with them we feel like we’re eating the world and they are only eating rabbit food. Ugh… healthy people are so frustrating… don’t they know nobody cares?
Correct me if I’m wrong but that is the stance of the MAJORITY of people in America, 67% of people are overweight.
It is more socially acceptable to be UNHEALTHY than it is to be HEALTHY. This is the society we have created. A society where you’re “on a diet” if you don’t shove unhealthy food into your mouth all day. A society where we’d rather eat a little debbie snack from the gas station than plan ahead and eat a sweet potato. Did you know that 100 years ago 1 in every 100 people got cancer? Now guess what it is? 1 in every 2 men and 1 in every 3 women. Soooo it’s either going to be YOU or someone you love. I’m not telling you this to scare you and to go eat all those “foods that prevent cancer”… I’m saying this to make you realize that shoveling processed/manufactured food into your body all day IS KILLING YOU.
And some of you are totally cool with that. You don’t want to live long lives. You’re totally cool with dying around 55. And hey, whatever. But from about 35 (when the CRAP food starts catching up with you, if not earlier) to the time you die you’re not going to feel good. You’re going to feel like crap everyday. Heck, you PROBABLY ALREADY DO FEEL LIKE CRAP EVERYDAY. No energy? Headaches? Bad sleep? … Yeah you’re unhealthy. Oh and then you think you have a problem so you drink energy drinks for more energy, and drugs for headaches and bad sleep. When all this time you could just not treat your body like a trash compactor and get all of that stuff for free.
I’m being preachy… I eat healthy 70% of the time and the other 30% is an absolute mess. Please please for the love of God do not leave me around Nutella, that container will be gone before a 1/2 hour TV show is done.
Just start to pay A LITTLE BIT more attention to what you’re putting into your body. AND PLEASE don’t make HEALTHY people feel like the weird ones for not wanting to feel like crap on a daily basis like you do.